Monday, February 13, 2012

How did I get hooked on knitting?

O.K. a few months ago, Pixel of Ink promoted Knitting for Dummies (Kindle ed.) sale price of 99 cents.  So I had to snag it.  Then a woman in my Monday social group asked if other women would be interested in learning how to knit a few days later.  I figured it was meant to be so I jumped on the opportunity.

Two weeks ago she began teaching us.  I just got so hooked on knitting.  Once I got knit and purl down I was a goner.  The first few days I could feel the yarn in my hands hours after I finished knitting.  Phantom yarn on my fingers is such a weird sensation.  Then my hands and wrists started to hurt so I bought some wrist support gloves at the Lion Brand Studio.  My hands feel so much better.

I took my first project off the needles (a scarf of course) last Monday.  This poor thing got frogged twice.  I cussed it out and and my clumsy fingers.  The first time was because it was just a mess.  The second time I was making my scarf too wide... it was looking more like a placemat than a scarf.  Frogging all that work hurt much more that but I took it in stride :D

Now I know - read twice (or more), knit once.

Why am I hooked on knitting?  Several reasons.


  • I am creating stuff.  I'm into art, music, and writing so being creative helps me feel alive.
  • It's winter - the perfect time to learn how to knit scarves, hats, and mittens (or in my case: fingerless cuffs)
  • Calms me down.
  • Gives me a sense of purpose every time I work on a project.
  • Helps me meet new people.  
  • Makes commuting fun!  I love using The Knit Kit for my MTA knitting because it has all my knitting notions in the cutest pink package.


I love Ravelry!  If you want to friend me over there my username is hipstamom.
I'm also on Plurk



No comments:

Post a Comment