Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Parent Child Knitting Lessons

O.K. I went to Brooklyn General this morning.  It wasn't too hard to get there.  From the train station, it was a 8 minute walk.

So TinyPunk was amped up.  Then we started with the Continental cast on and he dissolved into full meltdown mode.  I wasn't in the mood for it especially with the two day migraine going on. *sigh*  Poor kid was thirsty, so the teacher gave him some water.   The end project will be a knitted animal.  So cute! I'm going to take along some more snacks tomorrow to stave off further meltdowns.  Poor kid was frustrated.  He's used to catching on quick.  He's not catching on as fast as he would like and that is driving him crazy.  So after he finishes today's reading assignment, I will help him out for an hour or so.

I bought some yarn with me (acrylic and a bamboo mix; but they were too slippery for TinyPunk.) The knitting teacher advised me to sit behind him and hold his hands so he can get the muscle memory from working the stitches.  I think because he's on the spectrum, his weak fine/gross motor skills are definitely a factor.  I'm seriously considering getting him Lion Brand's Stress Relief Gloves.  I'm going to measure his hands today and see if he will fit into the size Small.

Personally, I love knitting Continental style now.  The knit stitch is so much easier and it comes out looking so much neater.  Purling is still dicey but it's definitely less scarier than English.  I'm hooked.  At least TinyPunk has the advantage of learning Continental instead of having to switch over like I did.

Tomorrow is another day to get it right.  We have two more lessons this week so I'm hopeful :D

No comments:

Post a Comment